Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The lesson I learned from my son

One thing that I love about being a mother is how much God teaches me through my children! It is amazing. They are usually simple truths that hit me in a profound way as I try to understand my boys and see the world through their eyes.

For those of you that don't know me really well, I am a planner. I love to make lists, am structured, task oriented, organized, routine, etc.... - you know my type! But along with that, I can struggle with being a perfectionist and sometimes miss out on the joy of things as I try to get more and more accomplished. The Lord is gently and faithfully teaching me to slow down and focus on what is important to HIM and not just checking off my to-do list.

My husband, Brad, informed me about a kids craft program at Lowes on Saturday mornings. He said the kids wear an apron, get to wear little goggles and make a craft in the lumber department. I thought it would be a fun thing to take Austin to. I load the boys up this past Saturday and even picked up one of Austin's friends to take with us. I got to Lowes early since they only accept a certain number of kids. I walk up and see the sign for the event and realize it is the wrong Saturday. Apparently, Brad didn't notice that the craft event is every OTHER Saturday. He also thought it was for ages 2-5 but upon closer inspection, it says GRADES 2-5. Since Austin is only 2 1/2, that probably won't work. I was a little frustrated because I thought, "What are we going to do now??" I felt bad because I had talked it up all morning and brought his friend. So, we walked around Lowes for about 45 minutes. Austin looked at all the vacuum cleaners (one of his little obsessions), lawn mowers, Christmas decorations and played in all the model kitchens. He loved it!

When I went out to the car, I realized I had locked my keys in the car. Then it started to rain and I was with 3 young children. Arrrghhh! Brad couldn't help me because he was working and my roadside service couldn't get there for 30 minutes. So, we walked over to Starbucks in the rain, which Austin actually got a kick out of. We had special chocolate milk and sandwiches.

I will spare you the rest of the details, but long story short....... the kids ended up having a GREAT time! They loved it!! And Gavin, my baby, slept through most of it! Austin probably had more fun than if we had been able to follow my own little "plan". I learned just to relax, go with the flow and enjoy it. If the kids are having fun, who cares if my plan didn't work? It will be fun someday to tell my kids how much I grew because of them and I know this is only the beginning!

2 comments:

Juliette said...

Beckie, you are a beautiful mother and an inspiration to me. I love to hear about what your boys teach you in life. What special memories!

Erica said...

That is so true. I look back at all the fun things I try to do with my kids and find that even though my intentions were good most of the time they have more fun doing things that are not on task then what I have planned. It's funny how that works